The Mirror of Galadriel



THE DAY

February 15, 3019 TA

I have skipped two days of import, namely January 23rd and 25th. Over the course of these two days, Gandalf pursued the Balrog to the peak of Zirakzigil (23) and finally cast him down (25). He then died, in a manner of speaking,
“He casts down the Balrog, and passes away. His body lies on the peak.”
Then on February 15th,
“Gandalf returns to life, and lies in a trance.”
Also on the same day, is the well-known incident of the Mirror of Galadriel:
“With water from the stream Galadriel filled the basin to the brim, and breathed on it, and when the water was still again she spoke. ‘Here is the Mirror of Galadriel,’ she said. ‘I have brought you here so that you may look in it, if you will.’”

Another rather interesting bit of this scene is Galadriel’s comment on magic. For I have always distrusted magic and thought that the term should be used very carefully. Something that people apply to both good and evil ought to be mistrusted don’t you think?
“’And you?’ she said, turning to Sam. ‘For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel. Did you not say that you wished to see Elf-magic?’”


And then Sam begins to realize that perhaps even “Elf-magic” isn’t really something one should consort with.


“[Galadriel:]’…the Mirror is dangerous as a guide of deeds.’

Sam sat on the ground and put his head in his hands. ‘I wish I had never come here, and I don’t want to see no more magic,’ he said and fell silent.”


THE YEAR

3001


Once again, a direct quote seemed to be the best choice.
Appendix B>> The Tale of Years 3001 “Bilbo’s farewell feast. Gandalf suspects his ring to be the One Ring. The guard on the Shire is doubled. Gandalf seeks for news of Gollum and calls on the help of Aragorn.”



Mentioning Bilbo’s farewell feast brings me to another delightful quote:

“[Bilbo:]’I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.’ This was unexpected and rather difficult. There was some scattered clapping, but most of them were trying to work it out and see if it came to a compliment.”



And for the record, I have worked it out, and it does come to a compliment.

post signature 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Even ones that have nothing to do with anything.