Butterbur Day

Courtney Skinner
You may have noticed my Goldberry post on the 27th. Well, in yet another early post (I'm linking it but it's rather horrid: https://theredbooknews.blogspot.com/2014/09/wedding-of-denethor-and-finduilas.html) I decided that September 29th was Butterbur day. 
You know, what I need around here is a Tom Bombadil day, but he is (though it seems rather a paradox) famously forgotten. So I shall settle for making posts to fondly remember even more unappreciated characters. 
Butterbur does have the advantage of having been the movie...but as far as I can tell, only people who have read the books notice him as anything more than a random innkeeper, about as important as Peter Jackson eating carrots. And even in the book, Butterbur, like Goldberry, is commonly overlooked. 
Imrahil of Dol Amroth, on the other hand, is a beloved hero to book-savvy fans (or he should be), so he doesn't get a day. As for the loads of other characters (Fatty!!!!) who are forgotten, perhaps at some point I will have a day for all of them, just not right now. 

So anyway, go back to the Fellowship and reread the part at the Prancing Pony. Say hello to Butterbur, and tell him Goldenrod sent you (he has probably forgotten who I am...sigh). 



post signature









(Lest there should be any confusion or matter of rights and whatnot, all quotes in this post are from The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien, unless otherwise mentioned. There may be slight errors, misspellings, or alternate punctuation in the quotes, and if you notice such, please inform me so that I can speedily remedy them. But I think the fact that I made this blog proves that I would never intentionally change something of Tolkien's in the transcribing of it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Even ones that have nothing to do with anything.