A Moment of Appreciation: A Conspiracy Unmasked

I am going to take a moment (or a lot of moments) to appreciate that wonderful chapter: A Conspiracy Unmasked. It's adorable. It's comforting and hobbity. And it gives a lovely view of the personalities of the four (technically five) hobbits. And the friendship between them. The movie didn't really get across that Sam is a gardener who is quite chummy with Frodo and Bilbo, and Merry and Pippin are Frodo's special friends.
Now, my views about the movie and all of it's changes are a topic for another time, but suffice to say I am not at all mad about that movie, I love it, huge fan, but it can be misleading to the sadly large amount of people who think it is a substitute for the book, rather than a friendly companion. Like an illustration.

The hobbits all go with Frodo of their own free will, and by decision, rather than chance circumstances. Sam actually ASKED Gandalf and Frodo if he could go, as opposed to the movie where he is rather cruelly forced to risk his life and leave his home just because he was eavesdropping. This was partially captured in the movie council of elrond, but still.

Let us examine the true character of Merry, by far the most different from his movie rendition. He is quite a bit more mature than the film allows, and far more experienced. He is a Brandybuck, and he has done wild and dangerous things such as popping into the Old Forest during the day, and boating. He also discovered Bilbo's ring, and began successfully spying on the old hobbit. In a loving fashion, of course. He is a curious hobbit by nature. He initiated a conspiracy. He, not Frodo, is the one more equipped to purchase a house, and make all the arrangements so that Frodo can just waltz in. He is far from irresponsible. He is more of a grown up than Frodo in the practical sense.
"The secret won't keep for long, of course; but at present it is, I think, only known to us conspirators. After all, you must remember that we know you well, and are often with you. We can usually guess what you are thinking. I knew Bilbo, too. To tell you the truth, I had been watching you rather closely ever since he left. I thought you would go after him sooner or later; indeed I expected you to go sooner, and lately we have been very anxious. We have been terrified that you might give us the slip, and go off suddenly, all on your own like he did. Ever since this spring we have kept our eyes open, and done a good deal of planning on our own account."
~ Merry 
Not only is Merry far from the irresponsible fool, he is kind of the dad of the group. As seen in the Prancing Pony when Pippin, Frodo, and Sam go down to join the other guests, and Merry stays behind for a bit of quiet, telling them to mind their Ps and Qs. 

Pippin, in contrast, is much closer to his cinematic doppelganger, only slightly less foolish (see what I did there?). He is young, somewhat irresponsible, impulsive, fun loving and adorable. But still clever and observant. And that adorable moment when he starts singing in the bath and splashing water all over the place. He is also quite brave and wonderful creature.
"'You do not understand!' said Pippin. 'You must go - and therefore we must, too. Merry and I are coming with you. Sam is an excellent fellow, and would jump down a dragon's throat to save you, if he did not trip over his own feet; but you will need more than one companion in your dangerous adventure.'"
They all understand fairly well how dangerous this journey is, and whom they are fighting, and they are willing.

"'We are horribly afraid - but we are coming with you; or following you like hounds.'"

Tolman Cotton
And Sam? Wonderful Sam. If anyone ever tells you that he is stupid and boring, kill them correct them sternly. The movie portrayed him VERY well, and it makes me happy. He is the most generic of all generic hobbits, and I love him for it. The dearest heart, and the hungriest stomach. And just the sort to innocently gather information for their conspiracy. But terribly honest nonetheless.
"'Here's our collector of information! And he collected a lot, I can tell you, before he was finally caught. After which, I may say, he seemed to regard himself as on parole, and dried up.'"





Tolman Cotton
Frodo is a good deal more amusing. But I think that, rather than change him, the movie just pushed forward in his timeline, past his happier days and into 'the ring is heavy' days. Which I understand perfectly. To make a movie, one must speed things up a little, but one misses happy Frodo. He is a cheerful soul. Poetic and rather...off on another planet? He wanders and talks to himself and has weird dreams and thinks about elves and mountains. And he doesn't seem to notice. It's rather funny. He is also not very good at being sneaky, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
"'We have constantly heard you muttering: "Shall I ever look down into that valley again, I wonder", and things like that. And pretending that you had come to the end of your money, and actually selling your beloved Bag End to those Sackville-Bagginses! And all those close close talks with Gandalf.'
'Good heavens!' said Frodo. 'I thought I had been both careful and clever.'"
Oh Frodo.
This chapter gives me life. It is so heartwarming and wonderful in every way. I love it. I would just put the whole thing in here except I think that might be illegal. GO RE-READ IT.
"'I don't deny it,' said Frodo, looking at Sam, who was now grinning. 'I don't deny it, but I'll never believe you are sleeping again, whether you snore or not. I shall kick you hard to make sure." 
Tolman Cotton
And of course Fatty, who seems rather blah in contrast, but is really quite brave and stout hearted. I mean, he stayed home to WAIT for black riders. He is terribly fond of Frodo, enough to do that for him, but he doesn't have any desire to leave the Shire. I think it's a lovely example of how everyone can do good deeds and help the 'greater cause' each in his own way. Not everyone has to venture forth into the darkness. Someone has to hold down the fort, as it were.






Featured Artist: Tolman Cotton
Tolman Cotton is the pseudonym of an Italian artist and teacher, and a true Tolkienite. He discovered Tolkien at ten years of age, and has been a fan of his works ever since. He inherited a love of art from his father, who was also a painter, and in addition to his other work has created many 'true to the book' images from Middle Earth. 
You can find him on DeviantArt: http://tolmancotton.deviantart.com/

~A note from Goldenrod: I love the work of Alan Lee and John Howe, but I also like to search out other artists who share my love of Tolkien. Every now and then, I am going to try to do posts with featured artists, because I think they deserve appreciation and support, especially from their fellow Tolkien fans. 

post signature



(Lest there should be any confusion or matter of rights and whatnot, all quotes in this post are from The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien, unless otherwise mentioned. There may be slight errors, misspellings, or alternate punctuation in the quotes, and if you notice such, please inform me so that I can speedily remedy them. But I think the fact that I made this blog proves that I would never intentionally change something of Tolkien's in the transcribing of it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Even ones that have nothing to do with anything.