The White Rider; The Dead Marshes

THE DAY

March 1, 3019 TA

Entmoot continues.
"'Hm, ha, hey, my Pippin!' he said, and the other Ents all stopped their chant. 'You are a hasty folk, I was forgetting; and anyway it is wearisome listening to a speech you do not understand. You may get down now. I have told your names to the Entmoot, and they have seen you, and they have agreed that you are not Orcs, and that a new line shall be put in the old lists. We have got no further yet, but that is quick work for an Entmoot. You and Merry can stroll about in the dingle, if you like. There is a well of good water, if you need refreshing, away yonder in the north bank. There are sill some words to speak before the Mooth really begins. I will come and see you again, and tell you how things are going.'"
I have just realized, flipping through in search of quotes, that Lord of the Rings is actually not that long. It seemed so much more imposing the first time I read it, and that has sort of stayed with me ever since, but really, its not so bad.

Frodo, Sam, and Gollum begin the passage of the Dead Marshes.
"In a chill hour they came to the end of the water-course. The banks became moss-grown mounds. Over the last shelf of rotting stone the stream gurgled and fell down into a brown bog and was lost. Dry reeds hissed and rattled though they could feel no wind."

Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli meet Gandalf the White. 
"His hair was white as snow in the sunshine; and gleaming white was his robe; the eyes under his deep brows were bright, piercing as the rays of the sun; power was in his hand. Between wonder, jow, and fear they stood and found no words to say."
And then they meet Shadowfax.
"...a great horse came striding up the slope towards them; his coat was glistening and his mane flowing in the wind of his speed."

Faramir sets out from Minas Tirith to go to Ithilien. 

post signature

 




(Lest there should be any confusion or matter of rights and whatnot, all quotes in this post are from The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien, unless otherwise mentioned. There may be slight errors, misspellings, or alternate punctuation in the quotes, and if you notice such, please inform me so that I can speedily remedy them. But I think the fact that I made this blog proves that I would never intentionally change something of Tolkien's in the transcribing of it.)

1 comment:

  1. Today is also Aragorn's birthday in the year 2913! Happy birthday, Aragorn!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Even ones that have nothing to do with anything.