The End


As you have probably noticed, my day by day exploration of The Lord of the Rings is coming to a close. Which is rather sad. It's been nice to be able to draw the book out much farther than if I just sat down and read the whole thing. But all things must come to a close eventually. 
"All's well that ends better."
When you read a good book, you want it to just keep going, the longer the better. But it's also true that the longer something is, the more it hurts when it's finally done. When I reread books, I know perfectly well that they will end the same way, but there is always a tiny part of me that hopes that maybe this time, it will keep going. In a twist, I don't like stories that have 37 books, none of which have any kind of proper conclusion or ending because they are all holding the story open so that someone can make more money off of another sequel. The point is, if The Lord of the Rings didn't have such a sad and beautiful ending, I wouldn't love it as much. If it went on forever I wouldn't want it to. And yes, that does make sense. 
So now I bring to you the final day. 

September 29 3021 TA: The End of the Third Age
"And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise."


Sam, you wondered what sort of a tale you had fallen into, well I can tell you. 
The best.


post signature

 







(Lest there should be any confusion or matter of rights and whatnot, all quotes in this post are from The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien, unless otherwise mentioned. There may be slight errors, misspellings, or alternate punctuation in the quotes, and if you notice such, please inform me so that I can speedily remedy them. But I think the fact that I made this blog proves that I would never intentionally change something of Tolkien's in the transcribing of it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Even ones that have nothing to do with anything.