Announcing: The Silmarillion

John Howe

I have finished the tale of the Third Age. But now it is time to go all the way back to before the world's beginning. 
Beginning January 1st, I shall be doing a... cataloguing? of the Silmarillion. Cataloguing isn't really the right word, but it will have to do. I haven't really made a final decision on the format of the posts yet, but I will just feel my way through. 
At the moment, I'm thinking of taking it small segment by small segment, and doing three posts a segment. One that just sort of says what happens. One that draws connections back to LOTR, and one that is just my thoughts and comments of the segment. We'll see how it goes. 
The Silmarillion is a very weighty book, completely packed with information. Though it is much shorter than LOTR, it took me longer to read. It's more of a very very dense history book than a fantasy novel. There are a lot of times where I just had to stop and keep rereading things to figure out what was going on. 
Hopefully these coming posts will help clarify a little bit? Or perhaps they will just be more confusing. I don't know. I'm enjoying writing them. Yes, I am getting as many done early as I can, but fear not! I shall be bogged down and behind schedule in no time, as per usual. 

I have high hopes though, as I am only doing one of these every two weeks. You shall laugh at me when I complain about how time consuming it is, as I'm afraid the end products aren't THAT wonderful, but reading Silmarillion, taking notes, and then trying to figure out how to fit it into a post, and then writing the post....well it simply takes time. 

As always, I am very open to commentary and critique, and if you have any specific questions or things you want me to write about, let me know. 
Wish me luck, good readers. 
post signature

 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Even ones that have nothing to do with anything.