Let us join to welcome Boromir of Gondor into the world.



In the year 2978 TA, Minas Tirith, Gondor; Boromir, son of Denethor son of Ecthelion, of the the House of Stewards, was born. My unofficial Boromir Day is the 26th of February, the day of his death. February is a long time away, but there will be a special post on that day in remembrance of dear Boromir. It will probably be quite long too, as all and sundry Tolkienites, will be invited to contribute a little bit of their thoughts on Boromir. Unfortunatly, Boromir made himself rather unpleasant before he died, so most everything about Boromir is about his death, or makes you dislike him.
“Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"
Poor Boromir, he DID suffer a lot of fear and doubt for the Ring, and in the end, it drew him to try and kill Frodo. But he died with honor, nonetheless. His character is a strange one, and I must confess, I have looked into it very little, if at all. He perishes so quickly, and plays so little part in the great war, or so it would seem. I realized when I chose this event for this post, that I had neglected Boromir. And I fear that many Tolkienites have neglected him too. I encourage my fellow Tolkienites to read the Fellowship of the Ring (and the other two) yet again, but this time, pay attention to Boromir. Watch his every move, and hear his every word. Think what part he has to play. What did his short time in the story mean to Frodo Baggins; how did it effect his future decisions?
Let us not forget Boromir so soon, just because he was gone so fast. Needless are none of the characters of JRR Tolkien in life, nor in death.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Even ones that have nothing to do with anything.